- This event has passed.
NAMI Johnson County – Family & Peer Support Group
February 12 @ 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm
National Alliance on Mental Illness: Johnson County
Family & Peer Support Group
Date: Every 2nd and 4th Tuesday
Time: 7:00 PM
Location: Nall Avenue Church of the Nazarene
Address: 6301 Nall Avenue, Shawnee Mission, KS 66208
NAMI Support Group is a free, peer-led support group for adults living with mental illness and family members. You will gain insight from hearing the challenges and successes of others, and the groups are led by NAMI-trained facilitators who’ve been there.
NAMI’s Support Groups are unique because they follow a structured model to ensure you and others in the group have an opportunity to be heard and to get what you need. The groups meet on a bi-weekly, weekly or monthly basis.
By sharing your experiences in a safe and confidential setting, you gain hope and develop relationships. The group encourages empathy, productive discussion and a sense of community.
NAMI Connection Recovery Support Group will help you:
• See the individual first, not the illness
• Recognize that mental illnesses are medical illnesses that may have environmental triggers
• Understand that mental illnesses are traumatic events
• Aim for better coping skills
• Find strength in sharing experiences
• Reject stigma and not tolerate discrimination
• Not judge anyone’s pain
• Forgive ourselves and reject guilt
• Embrace humor as healthy
• Accept that we cannot solve every problem
• Work for a better future in a realistic way